Thursday, October 3, 2013

NaBloWriMo Day 3 - Random Status Post Thursday

Anticipating the start of NaBloWriMo, I came up with some specific topics I wanted to cover as well as creating some of my own writing prompts. One idea I wanted to try was on Thursdays through the month of October I would look to my FaceBook friends' status posts for inspiration--wherein the first post that appeared on my News Feed would become my topic/prompt for the day.

 So...that being said, the first post on my News Feed this morning went like this:
 "Fortunate to say I haven't had this crappy of a day in a long time! So, if any of you have the full version of the Parenting Book, I need a copy cuz mine seems to be missing ALOT of chapters...ugh"

 Volumes have been written on the subject of parenting; however, who has the time to read everything and sort out what would be helpful in any given situation while trying to handle the situation? Additionally, no two children are alike, so how could one Parenting Book fit the bill for all kids?

 On several occasions, I have tried to apologize to my children when I realize that I have reacted poorly or inappropriately to a situation. I will use the excuse that they didn't come with a manual. (I'm usually a great one to have around after the crisis is over.) Other times, my wonderful husband will be quick to remind me of my inadequacies by saying, "The Parent-of-the-Year award people called...you didn't get it, again."

 In reading through some of the other NaBloWriMo posts, I noticed there are quite a few "new moms" or younger parents writing during this National Blog Writing Month. How quickly I have forgotten the issues that surrounded those times in my kids' lives. Each age brings new worries, new illnesses/injuries, and new heartache as well as a deeper love and a sense of pride that is indescribable.

 My kids are 14 and 24. This morning while walking with my 14-year-old, we talked about the dreams we had while sleeping and the dreams we have about the future. She tells me I'm a great mom. I also received a text from my 24-year-old this morning that said, "Did you know you are the coolest mom ever :)"

 So, today (at least), my FaceBook friend and I are not on the same page, but tomorrow is another day with another chapter to be written.

 Life is short...apologize sincerely, and love unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment