Monday, October 14, 2013

NaBloWriMo Day 14 - Blog du jour

For our homeschool language this year, we are using Rosetta Stone French Homeschool edition.  If you're wondering if this hyped up course is all that it touts--rest assured, it is!...when it works.

Here's my tip of the day:  DO NOT think you will cut costs and buy used like I did!  Unfortunately, I ended up with an outdated version that would not install on my computer without a call to tech support.  And tech support (once I could understand what he was saying), was not all that helpful.  :(

It was not merely downloading a newer version from their support page as Mr. Tech Support led me to believe.  Thankfully, my hubby, who is a computer wizard, intervened and went through the 15 step process which basically amounted to fixing my outdated version with duct tape...a series of renaming files, deleting files, re-downloading files, and re-renaming files before re-installing from the start-up disk made my head spin as I watched the tedious process.  Unfortunately, all the rigmarole was not a perfect fix.  The program still crashes and my frustrated daughter has to restart the computer to get it to work.

All that being said, I have been very impressed by the Dynamic Immersion method of teaching that this language software provides, and I do look forward to continuing with all the levels...which I will purchase in the form of the latest version from a reliable source from now on!!

3 comments:

  1. Message I get from your blog today is: "You get what you pay for." We all need reminded of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad bought a Rosetta Stone sample for learning Italian (this is when they thought they were going to Italy, but instead they went to Ireland. Lol)... They showed me the sample and I thought it was well planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to learn Italian and someday go to Italy...specifically the island of Sicily where my dad's side of the family originates.

      Delete