Thursday, October 24, 2013

NaBloWriMo Day 24 - Random Status Post Thursday...Bumps in the Road of Life

A friend of mine from high school is the winner of today's random status post blog topic: 

"We all have bumps in the road. Sometimes they amount to nothing more than the anthill whereas other times they seem like they are more like Mount Kilimanjaro. Hold your head high, lean on friends and or family and you will be able to get up and over every one of them. Life is not a test run it is a one time dealeo. We are only here for a flicker make the most of each day! God Bless this Republic!!"

Very well stated!  Not much more I can think to add, so I will just pull one thought from today's post...


"Life is not a test run..."

How many times have I sat through a board or committee meeting and come out saying, "There's an hour out of my life I'll never get back!"?

"Life is not a test run..."

How many times have I picked the short line at the grocery store only to watch as all the longer lines around me move twice as fast?

"Life is not a test run..."

How many times have I been running a little late, and the person in the car in front of me chooses to drive 5-10 miles below the speed limit with no opportunities to pass?

"Life is not a test run..."


Then there are those moments that you wouldn't trade for a thousand board meeting hours or even picking the right line at the market every time...like the moment your kids are born, or the moment your newborn wraps his tiny hand around your finger, or a first smile, or first giggle; or your son walking across the stage to receive his diploma, or your daughter reaffirming her faith on her confirmation day.

"Life is not a test run..."

Make every moment count...even the moments that are less than pleasant.  As it says in Romans 5:3-5:  "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

"Life is not a test run..."

If you're stuck in the "short line," take a deep breath and grab your mobile device to check email or prioritize your to-do list.  If you are stuck behind a slow driver, calm down and take it as a warning that there could be a speed trap up ahead or simply that arriving too early could put you in harm's way.  As for the board meeting...learn to pick your battles and make that necessary evil as short as possible.  (I struggle with this one, but I'm working on it.)

"Life is not a test run...We are only here for a flicker make the most of each day!"



2 comments:

  1. WHAT DEPTH OF THOUGHT! Your words touch me profoundly. I need to copy this and pull it out each day to reread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. picking the slowest ever short line at the grocery store happens to me all the time!

    I use it as time to breathe deep and try to relax, because there is nothing I can do about it, and really how much time have I really lost? It doesn't matter really, breathing deep and relaxing is good to do after the stress of making sure you got everything you needed.

    That's one way to make the most of a day.
    thank for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete