Monday, October 28, 2013

NaBloWriMo Day 28 - Are We There Yet? Part 1

Only three days left of National Blog Writing Month 2013.  I am pleased that I was able to achieve my goal of writing everyday for a month through this online blogging experience...even if some of the days didn't amount to much.

What did I learn from this experience?

I learned that setting goals is essential in order to stay on track--(not just in writing).

I observed whatever you want to write about has probably already been written about and is readily available on the internet so you better have a unique spin to your story.

I found purpose and intent filled my days as I developed story ideas and topics in preparation for writing my blog.

In reading other bloggers' posts...

...I discovered places I want to visit like...Long Beach, Washington and Missoula, Montana.

    ...I fell in love with Gregory's smile.

        ...I was in awe of Vanessa's strength and grace.

            ...I became inspired by Rebecca's courage and tenacity.

                ...I got acquainted with Gabe and Gigi's story in the book "My Message is C.L.E.A.R" and feel I have a greater awareness for those living through adversity.

                    ...I laughed at Aaron's vlog and appreciated his quirkiness.


As October closes and I reflect on the writing and the momentum I have gained this month, I look forward to continuing the routine through the National Novel Writing Month exercise beginning November 1 and ending 50,000 words later on November 30.

I find myself more closely examining my goals for this writing exercise as I think about some wise words I heard from actor/writer/producer Judd Nelson.  This past weekend, I attended a film making initiative meeting held in conjunction with the Iowa Independent Film Festival where Judd Nelson was an honored guest.  When asked a question about writing a screenplay, Nelson gave two solid points:

  1. Start small. 
  2. Be honest with why you are writing.  

"...theater is for actors, film is for directors, and books are for writers."

Whether you are writing to tell your own story, to better your craft, or to seek fame...it doesn't matter the reason, as long as you are honest with yourself about your reason.  If you are honest, that will be the driving force that gets you through the project with a successful end result.

Don't start out with an infinite number of characters.  Start with one character in a room with one idea and build from there.

His points really resonated with me, and I did a serious, hard look at why I wanted to take on the NaNoWriMo challenge and what I wanted to accomplish and came up with the following:

(to be continued)...


3 comments:

  1. Your verbiage is especially appealing and thought-filled. I have enjoyed following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should DEFINITELY come visit Missoula! Also, I should have mentioned this before. I don't fold underwear... I hate it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comments!! I feel like I made a new friend. :)

      Delete