Saturday, October 26, 2013

NaBloWriMo Day 26 - Amazing Things

I promised I would write about amazing things and that's what I intend to do...

There is something amazing about being on the set of a movie for the first time.  We all watch movies, but how many of us get the amazing opportunity to experience being on a set for the actual filming, let alone getting to be in a movie as an extra?  My daughter and I had just such an opportunity in the Spring of 2012; and last night, we enjoyed our 4 seconds of fame as we previewed the rough-cut of Garner, Iowa at the Iowa Independent Film Festival.  We portrayed coffee shop patrons (which is a huge stretch for me--NOT).  My daughter, the drama queen instructed me:  "Whatever you do, Mom, don't look at the camera!"  It was an absolute thrill to see ourselves on the screen--if only for a few seconds.  The bigger thrill, however, was getting a behind-the-scenes look at film making and getting to interact with some of the actors and crew members.

The painstaking and tedious process of getting the lights and cameras just right before shooting a segment; and then the many, many takes to get all the camera angles needed for one scene lasted for hours and boiled down to a few short minutes after editing.  I am in awe at the skill involved in editing and adding in sound. What seemed disjointed and awkward at some points during the filming as we watched through the director's monitor, came together flawlessly and cohesively for each scene in the movie.

The talent and genuine concern and care for getting the story right and the characters believable was heartwarming and it definitely came through in the end product.

It truly was an amazing experience and one we will not soon forget!


1 comment: