Tuesday, October 15, 2013

NaBloWriMo Day 15 - Chilled to the Bone

We attended my nephew's junior high football game this afternoon.  The temperature was 50-ish with mist that blew sideways.  My daughter laughed at me as a half hour before we left for the game, I began getting dressed--first the Cuddl Duds, followed by two pairs of socks, jeans, a turtleneck, and a long sleeve shirt.  A sweatshirt jacket, tennis shoes, hat, windbreaker, and two pairs of gloves completed my ensemble...not my first rodeo.  I know me and cold, and me is borderline cold urticaria (so I know there are not enough layers in my closet to do the trick).  I felt like Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story when he has his snowsuit on to go to school and can't put his arms down.  I did, however, manage to have my daughter grab a blanket as we headed out the door...she was still snickering at all my layers and feeling like the blanket was totally unnecessary.

Once we got to the field, we climbed up a few steps into the bleachers to sit down on what can only be described as slabs of ice.  Just that much higher up and the wind and sideways mist suddenly seemed gale force compared to the weather down in the parking lot.  Cups of hot cocoa became our life blood, and we huddled together like our lives depended on it.

An hour and a half later when the buzzer sounded signaling the end of the game, I was beyond numb and in desperate need of a loo...in fact, since I couldn't feel anything from the waist down, I wasn't sure if I actually had to go or if I had already gone!

Back at home, I began peeling off the layers and trying to prepare a hot supper to aid in my recovery.

It is now four and a half hours post-game time, and I just got the feeling back in my toes.

You're probably wondering how I'm going to survive the winter when I live in a state where the temperatures will most likely dip below zero for weeks on end.  I'm wondering the same thing, and the answer is probably stay indoors until next spring.

1 comment:

  1. Very well told! I remember that scene in "Christmas Story" vividly. I now feel quite cold! May have to hibernate until Spring.

    ReplyDelete