Friday, November 1, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 1 - And So It Begins

I'm off and running!  Armed with goggles, mask, and gloves and with the window open for ventilation (brrrr), I removed the old moldy letters from the freezer and began to transcribe.   My daughter called me Darth Vader when she saw me in my getup -- guess I missed dressing up for Halloween by one day!

At this point, my focus is just to get all the letters transcribed.  Once I get them all typed, then I can cut and paste to get a definite chronological order and try to fit the letters in that have no dates whatsoever.   I know I will have to do some editing of the letters to only leave in pertinent information relevant to the story, but for now, I am totally enjoying the language and historical references and can't imagine cutting anything out.

Of the two letters I worked on today, Grandma mentions a "tent show" with a clown...did she mean a circus?  She also talked about a trip she took on a train and getting "pinched" 15 cents for a sandwich.  The dates on today's letters were January 1926 and July 1927, and given the context of both, I have a lot more questions than I do answers.  I shared the letters with my mother and she could fill in a little information about certain names, but not much else.  The suspense is definitely going to push me to work on this project as often as time allows.

That being said, when I post my daily/cumulative word count, just know that those are words transcribed and not necessarily words I have written.  So while I may not be holding true to the National Novel Writing Month's intention, I am accomplishing MY goal of getting Grandma and Grandpa's story retold.

WORD COUNT = 2,285


4 comments:

  1. I looked it up because *I* was curious... a tent show was apparently anything amusement related according to Wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent_shows, and I'm fairly sure getting "pinched" means being stolen from or pick pocketed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting finds on the meanings. I was guessing on the tent show reference, but the way she wrote that "...they only pinch you 15 cents for a sandwich..." makes me think that's what the sandwich cost. BUT I can also see Grandma considering that they were stealing from her with regards to the price of a sandwich--so that makes sense. :)

      Delete
  2. FASCINATING PROJECT.....WONDER WHAT YOU WILL UNCOVER?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome project!
    I also didn't know about the freezer and mold....good to know!!

    ReplyDelete