Tuesday, November 12, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 11 & 12 - Time to Get Organized

Got curious today after transcribing yet another one of Grandpa's letters that referenced something from one of Grandma's letters that I hadn't recalled seeing.

Two years ago when I attempted to do something with the letters, I had been taking them out of the shoe box and placing each unfolded letter in a sheet protector along with its corresponding envelope so that I could fit them into a 3-ring binder in the order they were written.  They ended up being so bulky, that I started a second binder.

When I began the project this time around, I failed to remember that one of the binders of letters was not organized in date order.  So, today when I opened the second binder, I found letters that will fit into the sequence of the 15 I've already transcribed.  I have decided before I go on, I will be checking for all dates that are earlier than those I have already done.

I do remember that some of the letters were so riddled with mold that I was kind of avoiding handling them.  Pretty sure they are still in the shoe box and not in sheet protectors yet.  I should probably get them all out and in order before I forge ahead again.

Yet another setback, but at this point, I really want to read/transcribe them in order.

TOTAL WORD COUNT = 21,222

Grandpa was so creative with the way he closed his letters.  I will leave you with one of the closing sentiments I found today.

"With a world of love & every star a kiss..."


4 comments:

  1. Such truly romantic people your grandparents were. And such a "labor of love" you are doing in transcribing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Grandpa was quite the poet! I love his closing!!!
    ...ever start a kiss....
    a great story you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Oh OH, I love how he ends his letters!! THAT is what letter writing is all about - where even the ending is poetic and worthy of reading!!

    ReplyDelete