Sunday, November 24, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 24 - What's in Your Cigar Box

In Grandma's letter to Grandpa on July 31, 1927, she writes:

"Your letter was waiting for me when I came home from work yesterday noon.  Was rather surprised but I always look in the mail box (or rather cigar box) every day."

In Grandpa's letter back to Grandma on August 5, he responds:

"You always want to look in cigar boxes dear so that you won't be surprised--sometimes it's hard on the heart and I don't want my little girl to have heart failure you know.  Besides you can't always tell what you will find in cigar boxes, you might even find me there some night." 

I did some checking and could not find any reference to a mailbox being called a cigar box.  So I can only assume this was an inside joke between the two lovebirds.



TOTAL WORD COUNT SO FAR FOR THE MONTH WHICH INCLUDES 39 TRANSCRIBED LETTERS TO DATE = 31,868

3 comments:

  1. I used to keep all of my "treasures" in a cigar box that looks much like the one pictured. Every so often I would pull it out.....perhaps to look at old photos residing therein.....once to find a tooth that the dentist had extracted. Why did I keep it? Must be the Pandora in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile… especially as a friend gave me a cigar box a couple of years ago and it's where I keep the jewelry pieces that I'm working on. Love their secret writings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep all my embroidery thread in an old cigar box. I have no idea where I got it but I really like it.... :D

    ReplyDelete