Tuesday, November 19, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 19 - Tickets, Kisses, & Stamps

The summer of 1926 after my grandma graduated from high school, she traveled with her mother and brother from Iowa to North Carolina to stay with cousins for a month.  She left her new beau, Florian, in Marshalltown to pine away for her and...

...write letters.

I didn't find the letters she wrote back to Grandpa from Advance, North Carolina--only the letters he wrote to her.

One of the letters contained a cardboard ticket which he explains in his letter...

"I weighed tonite 162 lbs.  The ticket sure read funny.  I am sending it to you.  I wonder if I wasn't supposed to get that or is it all B.S."




Grandpa signed one of the letters with a series of "kisses"...

"Can you pick out the different kinds of kisses? Your Rudolph Valentino, Florian"



And just so Grandma would know that any mail coming to her cousin's in North Carolina was intended for her, Grandpa strategically placed the stamp on the envelope...



TOTAL WORD COUNT = 25,463

3 comments:

  1. Ok, those are interesting kisses. hehe.
    And I love how the stamp is placed - how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valentino was the epitome of the romantic movie "Shiek" back in those days. Interesting that Florian so identifies himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I need an interpretation of the kisses!

    ReplyDelete