Saturday, November 23, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 23 - ...fame AND Fortune

Yesterday I mentioned finding fame in the family line, but I would be remiss in not mentioning fortune as well.

Grandpa's letters were not only steeped in an all-consuming love for Grandma from the very beginning, but they were RICH in poetic prowess.  The eloquence in every letter articulated not only his true adoration but his insecurities.  Reading his letters is akin to watching a Broadway musical.  He blends humor with honesty and quotes from great works of literature right alongside bits of scripture.  Sprinkled throughout for effect are lines from songs of the era.

At this point, I'm afraid if I tried to incorporate a story to go with the letters, I would not do the character justice.  The letters speak louder than words and perhaps just need to stand alone as a collection for the family genealogy records.

Here are just a few of the songs which Grandpa used lines from in his letters:

[**my apologies to those of you reading this blog on a tablet that doesn't support Flash, as the following YouTube videos are apparently done with Flash**]

"Gimme a Little Kiss, Will 'Ya'? Huh"

"Let Me Call You Sweetheart, I'm in Love With You"

"Yearning (Just For You)"

4 comments:

  1. There is book, and the title is right *there* and I can't remember it... SO frustrating... that is simply a book of letters written back and forth between two friends? Lovers? The ending is a cliffhanger and you never find out what happens, but I recall it being beautifully illustrated. If you know the book I'm talking about (or perhaps I can find it) perhaps you could model your story off of that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think of the title, let me know...I would love to check it out!

      Delete
  2. You have inherited your grandfather's ability with words.....

    ReplyDelete