Sunday, November 17, 2013

NaNoWriMo Day 17 - A Girlfriend and a Cousin

Only transcribed two letters yesterday...one from Velma and one from a mystery woman.  The mystery woman signed her name "Wop."  I'm wondering if it is her friend Nadyne.  (I think I'm going to have to go back into the dreaded shoebox and pull out some "Nadyne" letters to compare the handwriting).  There was no name or address on the outside of the envelope, but there were a couple of interesting lines...

"listen - when you come thurs. come to my house after me if I'm not there you go to Billiard hall and 'Gib' will tell you where his house is...What I've got to tell you concerns "Handsome,"  I'd write his name But haven't any Idea How to Spell it."
My grandpa's name is Florian--a very unique name, for sure, and one people probably had trouble spelling.  So, I'm guessing that "Handsome" was referring to Grandpa!


Velma was grandma's cousin from North Carolina.  The letter from Velma was dated June 15, 1926, and talked about Grandma coming out to visit.  Velma couldn't spell grandpa's name, either.  She kept referring to him as "Floren".

As they say in the letters...

"Will ring off now for this time."
TOTAL WORD COUNT = 23,430



2 comments:

  1. Some of these letter writers ould be working for the CIA.....they are so covert with their a/k/a names and hidden activities....how big was this little town of so many secret assignations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she just called him handsome. Gosh, you are making me want to write handwritten letters and pray that someone keeps them!

    ReplyDelete