Saturday, January 1, 2011

Life's Too Short to Sleep Through It

I understand that sleep is necessary to keep your body functioning at peak performance. However, unless you work the third shift, I don't understand sleeping the day away and then staying up all night. Maintaining a regular-business-hours schedule to accomplish activities necessary to being a functioning citizen of the community is a concept foreign to my 21-year-old (much to my dismay and disappointment).

I've never been an early riser unless my job demanded it, but sometimes the early morning hours provide breathtaking and spectacular experiences. I will never forget watching the sun come up over Lake Superior as the freighter approached the lift bridge in Duluth; or the way the smells, sights, and sounds overtake your senses and draw you into the magic of Disney World in Orlando at dawn. The natural phenomenon of the hoar frost on the trees and shrubs on a crisp winter's day after a night of fog can best be seen during the early daylight hours. As a photographer, I understand that lighting plays a major role in capturing a subject at its best. Sometimes that means being an early riser.

A good share of the general public is awake during daylight hours which means to interact with said public, you must be awake then, too. Naps are for toddlers and nursing home residents. In the prime of life, don't miss out on prime time activities...stay awake!!

Life's short...if you blink, you might miss it!

1 comment:

  1. I was already a night owl before I opened the Blue Belle Inn, but when I did, and was suddenly there working every night until 10 p.m., my tendency's got even worse. You come home from work tired, but just because it's bedtime doesn't mean you can go to sleep. Like anyone, you come home from work pumped up with adrenalin, sometimes frustrated, sometimes happy, charged and ready to go after flying around, being busy for hours - you need a few hours to unwind before you can go to sleep. Problem is, who do you call to talk to at that time of night? (No one - they're all asleep.) Where do you go if you feel like doing something? or need to run errands (No where - everything is closed.) So what's a person to do? Sometimes life thrusts you into situations where you're forced to to adapt. I did. I started writing. Late into the night. My first published book was Night and Day (it's midnight in Minnesota and daybreak in Denmark). In my case, my imaginary, after-hours,everybody-else-I-know-is-sound-asleep world changed my real life.

    ReplyDelete