Thursday, January 20, 2011

Life's Short...Drive Fast

As the line goes in the Eagles song: "Life in the fast lane...surely make you lose your mind...life in the fast lane."

Reminds me of a joke told by Steven Wright:
"I was going 70 miles an hour and got stopped by a cop who said, 'Do you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?' 'Yes, officer, but I wasn't going to be out that long...'" (Wish I would've thought to use that the few times I got stopped for speeding).

I don't actually condone exceeding the speed limit--it's dangerous, against the law, and dangerous! But According to an April 2005 government article on About.com, Americans spent more time driving to work than taking vacations. My mother recalls an age when riding in the car with family on a vacation was a time to feel the wind on your face and converse with one another—however, that was mainly out of necessity--there was no radio and no air conditioner.

Before the days of portable DVD players, we played the license plate game, the alphabet game, or my favorite—Bury the Cows. The endless supply of DVD’s does help the time pass more rapidly in the car if it’s a multiple-hour car ride with a small child, but nothing can replace the games and interaction between family members when all electronics are silenced. My friend, Myra always brings a book along when she and her husband make their treks up north to their cabin every weekend. She reads aloud as he drives, and they both get to add another entry to their repertoire of books read.

If by myself, sometimes I just need some down time and will sing along to the radio or tune into the local Christian station. Other times, I will talk to God and try and clear my head to “listen” to Him as well. I might even utilize a short drive to go through my to-do list and prioritize my day or brainstorm on a project. Recently, I have taken the advice of Famous Dave Anderson in his book, “Life Skills” by making the most of my commute time and attending the “University on Wheels.” I’m expanding my mind by listening to audio books.

Another tune by Eddie Rabbit comes to mind:
"...I'm driving my life away, looking for a better way, for me..."

Life's too short to waste the commute. Life is a journey. Roll down the window and enjoy the breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment