Sunday, January 2, 2011

Life's Short...Embrace the Hardships

...but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Romans 5:3-4

Time flies when you're having fun. As the anniversaries of my birth pile up, the years seem to pass faster than ever, and the phrase about time flying proves quite true. Just the other day, I was re-reading several friend's holiday greetings and found that same sentiment about the rapid progression of time echoed throughout many of their letters.

I'm certainly not one to wish ill or hardships on anyone (enemies included), but when I find myself in a situation out of my control and extremely painful to bear, time seems abundant. Time spent waiting for tests or court dates to be scheduled; waiting for outcomes, results, or resolution--I'm inundated with timeless phrases from people like, "This too shall pass;" and "Whatever doesn't kill us, will surely make us stronger." I ,myself, am guilty of throwing the latter of these two phrases around recently to a friend who is going through a divorce and painful custody battle and reaching out for words of wisdom and hope.

Life has its trials and tribulations, but life is short--turn worry into prayer and persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment