Thursday, January 30, 2014

Salutations and Greetings

Now that the news of the nuptials is known, the salutations are sweeter.

From Grandpa to Grandma the greetings have progressed from "Little Girl" to "Little Wifey"...

  • Dear Helen
  • Dear Little Girl
  • Dear Girl
  • Dearest Little Girl
  • Dear Little Sweetheart
  • Dear Little Sweetheart wife
  • Dear Wife
  • Dear Little Wife
  • Dear Little Wifey
The openings from Grandma to Grandpa include...
  • Dear Florian
  • Dear Kid
  • Dear Little Boy
  • My Dear Florian
...however, the latest pet names have me mystified.  In a letter dated January 21, 1931 Grandma writes to Grandpa "Dear Pudi" and closes "With Love & Kisses, Buji"...

I would love to be able to ask them about the meaning behind these names.  I can find no reference to these names as historical characters, so can only assume they are just cutesy names they made up to call one another.

More later about why there are still letters back and forth now that the two are married...


2 comments:

  1. Aww, I love seeing the transitional changes in their greetings. What a lovely way to begin a letter, to feel the change of "love in the air."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What's your name?"
    "Puddentane......ask me again and I'll tell you the same."

    ReplyDelete